Oldest Colony House, 1694Ryneveld StreetColony House was a term used for houses built by the College of Landdrost and Heemraden for
the benefit of the colony or settlement of Stellenbosch, mostly to house their officials.
Thus this house on the eastern corner of Dorp and Rhyneveld Streets was let in
1698 for one year to the Huguenot surgeon, Jean Prieur du Plessis and his wife
Marie Buisset, ancestors of all the Du Plessis of South Africa.
Ters van Huyssteen, Footloose in Stellenbosch
Now home of the Dorp Street Gallery.
Photo by Willem Malherbe
www.StellenboschWriters.com © Rosemarie Breuer Books
Find Afrikana and other books at bidorbuy.co.za